We believe shared cars are a better way to move around, offering more flexibility and more convenience. We are already the #1 car rental marketplace in Europe, and we believe the adoption will be 100 times larger in just a few years. We have a lot on our plate since we are opening cars with smartphones, preventing fraud, optimising the search & booking experience, opening new countries... so we'd love for you to join the growing engineering team and contribute.
The engineering is getting close to 20 people, but as you might notice on the job listing page, we have a lot of positions open and we will grow a lot more this year. This is why, to be able to scale the team in good conditions, we are recruiting an engineering manager. We are looking for someone who enjoys leading a team of bright people, give them everything they need to succeed and make sure everything is moving forward.
What you would do at Drivy
To scale effectively, we organised ourselves in squads with people coming from various departments like engineering, data, design and product. In this context you would manage the web developers (Ruby, Rails, HTML/JS, ReactJS) in one or two squads, taking on responsibilities like:
• Keeping your team happy & effective by identifying and removing any roadblocks
• Work closely with product managers to define the roadmap
• Contribute yourself to the progress of your team: you would be close to the code, helping when needed
• Support your team and help them achieve their career goals
• Be actively involved in hiring and onboarding new engineers
• Provide mentorship, code reviews and coaching when needed
• Conduct one on ones, yearly reviews...
• Be involved in more global technical decisions at Drivy
Skills & Experience We Are Looking For
Overall you'll need to care a lot about agility and efficiency: building the right thing, the best way possible given the various constraints that can appear during the lifetime of a project. Of course this also means working in a sustainable way, making quality long term technical decisions and keeping the team happy. To get into more details, we are looking for these skills:
• Already managed an agile engineering team
• Shipped and maintained code in production
• Deep knowledge of a MVC web framework (like Rails)
• Excellent communication skills, works well within a team
• Pragmatic with good organisation skills
• Able to communicate in English
Our Tech Stack
• Ruby on Rails 5.1 with Ruby 2.4
• ES6, ReactJS with Webpack and Yarn for the frontend
• Lots of Rspec and Capybara/PhantomJS tests to be safe
• Continuous integration with Docker and CircleCI to push to production multiple times a day
• MySQL with multiple slaves and a dozen of Redis instances to store things
• A solid internal bootstrap to avoid redesigning forms every weeks
• Monitoring dashboards built with Telegraf + Influxdb + Grafana
You will work in the best possible conditions, with:
• A great engineering team with experience! A lot of us have been working with Rails since v1, some organize meetups and some even contributed.
• Recent and powerful hardware
• The peace of mind of a large test suite and pull requests to stay sane and ship often
• An international team of great and passionate people
• A remote friendly culture, with some remote allowed for this position
...and we think you'll also appreciate this:
• Getting to learn from your peers and to share your knowledge on the blog and in our internal presentations every two weeks
• A ticket to one technical conference of your choice each year
• Open source projects are being extracted from the codebase when appropriate
• Free non fiction books and access to our growing library
• Headquarter in the center of Paris
• Offices in Berlin, London and Barcelona
• Tickets restaurants, a good mutuelle...
• "Hack days" a few times in the year to experiment with new technologies and ideas
• A front row seat to witness the disruption of car ownership
No need for a resume, but Linkedin, Twitter and Github usernames are appreciated!
Don't hesitate to give our backend challenge a try.